365 Days of Manga, Day 8: Shugo Chara!

scv01.jpg
SHUGO CHARA! (Shugo Kyara!, “Protective/Guardian Characters!”) ????????? • Peach-Pit • Del Rey (2007-ongoing) • Kodansha (Nakayoshi, 2006-ongoing) • 9+ volumes (ongoing) • Shôjo Magical Girl Fantasy • 13+ (brief sexual situations)
Magical girl manga generally focus on one of two things, love or self-esteem, and Shugo Chara! is one of the latter. Amu is a tough elementary school tomboy who secretly wants to show people her sensitive side. When she prays to her guardian angel “Please give me the courage to be reborn as the person I want to be,” she wakes up to find three easter eggs in her bed, which hatch into three fairies, the Shugo Chara (guardian characters). Each one can grant her different powers, making her more athletic, more artistic, more social, etc; her newfound abilities attract the attention of the elite, popular students called the Guardians, but there’s also an evil scheme afoot with bad guys seeking precious magical artifacts, and spreading “X Eggs,” which cause people to lose faith in their dreams. As always, Peach-Pit’s work relies more on superficial drawing ability than any underlying ideas, but the art is good and sparkly and there are nice scenes involving the chibi Shugo Chara, who have personalities of their own.
** (two stars)
Today’s winner is Michael R. of New York! Congratulations, Michael!
I’m also proud to announce the first winner who has linked to us and sent us her photo, qualifying her to receive five more manga! Soleil C. of California will be getting five more yaoi manga in the mail (normally I wouldn’t say what kind of manga someone asked for, but Soleil, it seems from your photo that you wouldn’t mind ;) ):
3945685517_56f43c1386.jpg
Stay tuned for more manga reviews and fabulous prizes!

18 Responses to “365 Days of Manga, Day 8: Shugo Chara!”

1. Quinn says:

I love Shugo Chara I have been reading it since the begging an I wanna know WHENS THE 10TH BOOK COMING OUT!!!!!! I can read Japaneses so I read the back and I just cant wait So whens it coming out

2. Sarah :D says:

I stumbled onto these books while helping my sister look for the next book in her manga series, I LOVE THEM SO MUCH I gotta know when the 10th books is coming out! best series I have read sense +Anima !!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Erin says:

PLEASE!!! I NEED TO KNOW WHEN THE NEXT VOLUME COMES OUT!! :) This book has me crying on every page :) , while waiting for the 10th volume to be on its way in English is so hard for me! I have been re-reading the series over and over again. It’s rediculously got to the point where I can resite the manga’s to my friends..

If you could please announce the release date for volume 10 in english (because volumes 10-12 are only available in japanese) that would be awesome.

Thanks!~
    -Erin, =^.^=

4. Blaze says:

Volume 10 comes out in English on Febuary 22, 2010. The release dates for 11 and 12 are still unknown.

5. Ayu says:

NYAAAAAA I WANT VOLUME 10!!!!!!!

6. kristie says:

i need 8! i can only find 1-7 in stores and most dont even hav ANY >=[

7. Kimaly Tarter says:

SHUGO CHARA! I cannot express how much I absolutely love this manga!! I watch an episode every day on Crunchyroll.com just waiting and hoping someday it’ll come to America! I started reading it on the internet, but I couldn’t find the English manga anywhere here, even though I knew the manga was in English in the US. I searched everywhere! I checked Hastings, but they for some reason couldn’t order it. Over the months, I’ve been an obsessed Shugo Chara! maniac! >XD I’ve even been talking about it on Facebook, but everyone ignores me because they don’t know what manga or anime is, (but they will soon, [mwa-ha-ha]) ^_^ Three days ago, my family went to the town over and spent our Christmas money. Strangely, I was walking through the manga aisle in Hastings, (first money stop) and spotted Shugo Chara! vol. 2!!! I seriously started jumping up and down right then and there, but the only problem was there was not a single other volume there. I asked if they could order the others for me, but they said they couldn’t! I was so confused on how they even got the 2nd vol. when it hadn’t been used, or when they couldn’t even order it themselves.
    I finished the manga, I read to go to Delreymanga.com, and so now I’m here! I’m so very thankful for everyone who helped bring Shugo Chara! over to the United States!! <XD I love you!

8. allie says:

i cant wait until vol 11 come out when dose it

9. Alexis says:

OMG I love Shugo Chara! I keep rereading the books, and I actually have drawings of different characters straight out of pictures in the books…..they are soooooooo fun to draw! Its really easy once you get the hang of it….i would know…im only 13, and if I dont get something soon if not immediatly, I get really ticked! Anyways PLZ hurry up and get that 10th book published in English…….I NEED TO READ IT!!!!!!!!!XD

10. Jennifer says:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im a huge fan!! i kept reading over and over again until i almost memorized all the words.. and i need to know when 10-12 are going to be out!!!!

11. Rebecca says:

UUUGGGH GIMME GIMME GIMME VOL 10. I’VE WATCHED THE ANIME ALREADY AND I WANT THE NEXT VOLUME. D’X
    And I can’t wait for Encore as well. >//u//:l
    BOO.
    *sigh* Ok, time to go search on manga fox. x_X
    IT’S NOT THE SAME DX

12. Kyra Hailey says:

OMG i love shugo chara to death i have all 9 books! still in great shape and when the 10th book comes out i dont care if it costs 100$ i would still buy it <3

13. coolgirl says:

i think shugo chara is great but i hate ikuto……hes such an idiot and super gross so is tadase and…………only nadeshiko is cool only shes a he……………boho

14. Daniella says:

I loveee Shugo Chara! Can’t wait until the 11th manga comes out! I LOVE Ikuto! Hes so hot . . . :3

15. Cait says:

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN 11 AND 12 COME OUT?!?!?!
    I FINISHED 10 AND I FELT LIKE SCREAMING AT THE END WHEN IT SAID “TO BE CONTINUED IN VOLUME 11″
    PLEASE TELL ME SOMEONE KNOWS WHEN THEY COME OUT IN ENGLISH :’(

16. Amanda Mercado says:

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the books but i hate waiting for them . )))))’:

17. Sunny Park says:

i love comic books and i love especially shugo chara! it’s a great comic book/series can’t wait for the next book^&^

18. I love Shugo Chara says:

I love the manga I’ve read all 12 volumes and I love it! The thing I hate is that I saw the anime and they didn’t add the best part of the manga which was the last volume! THEY ALWAYS LEAVE OUT THE BEST PARTS! >:(