Over the course of “365 Days of Manga,” I’ve mailed out over 500 manga to random winners, and there’s still more than 250 days to go.
But now I’ve decided that manga giveaways are too important to be left to random chance. The “365 Days of Manga” contest will continue, but I also want to give a WHOLE BUNCH of manga at once to people who exhibit the most important trait of a mangaka: creativity. And since my second biggest love after manga is RPGs, what better way to show your creativity than by telling me about a character you created for a role-playing game — a MMORPG, messageboard RPG, tabletop RPG or any other imaginary avatar created by YOU!
Announcing… the KING OF RPGS “Tell Me About your Character” Contest!!!
King of RPGs is a graphic novel, written by Jason Thompson and drawn by Victor Hao, coming in January 19 from Del Rey Manga. It’s the tale of one college student’s quest to become the Greatest Game Master in the World… and another student’s quest to overcome his “World of Warfare” addiction. It’s an epic comedy mashup of shonen manga, Japanese RPGs, “Mages & Monsters,” collectible card games and way, way too many 20-sided dice.
To win this contest, you must prove to me that you, like the characters in King of RPGs, are worthy of the title… THE WORLD’S GREATEST ROLEPLAYERS. Send me a description of a character you have created for a roleplaying game! It can be a character from a MMO (like World of Warcraft), a messageboard/forum RP, a tabletop RPG (like Dungeons & Dragons), a live-action RPG, or anything you can think of, as long as (1) you play that character and (2) you made them up.
The full contest rules are available here, but here are the basics:
(1) Email me and tell me about the character you play!
(2) Your character must have a name (even if it’s something like “The Nameless One”)
(3) You must include your mailing address in your email
(4) You must tell me what kind of manga you want (shojo (girls’), shonen (boys’), seinen (men’s), yaoi or a mix)
(5) You must tell me your age (no seinen or yaoi manga will be given as prizes to people under 18)
(6) Your entry must be between 100 and 1000 words long.
(7) Plagiarism is grounds for immediate disqualification. Don’t do characters based on anyone from novels, movies, TV shows or video games, unless you disguise ‘em so well that we can’t tell who they’re based on.
(8) You can only submit one character per email address.
(9) On JANUARY 11, 2010 I will choose the four most original and interesting characters and announce them on suvudu.com and kingofrpgs.com. Each of the 4 winners will receive the grand prize!
4 GRAND PRIZES
* 30 graphic novels from my personal collection (you choose what kind: shojo, shonen, seinen or yaoi!)
* PLUS 5 role-playing game books (also from my collection, including Dungeons & Dragons, Call of Cthulhu, Vampire, Mage, Ars Magica, and many others)
*AND a set of role-playing game dice! (one 20-sided, one 12-sided, one 10-sided, one 8-sided, one 6-sided, one 4-sided)
So, when you’re ready, tell me about your character (before January 11!) for a chance to win 30 manga! And check out www.kingofrpgs.com for more information, including tips on how to win, and how to send in your character!