Matthew Hughes is the contributor for this week’s Take Five, a regular series where we ask authors and editors to share five facts about their latest books. Hughes is the author of Costume Not Included, available now from your favorite book retailer.
- The hero, Chesney Arnstruther, is a high-functioning, autistic insurance actuary who moonlights as a costumed crimefighter.
- His crimefighting sidekick, Xaphan, is a rum-swilling, cigar-puffing demon whose most recent Earthly assignment was helping Al Capone. Before that, he worked with Blackbeard the Pirate.
- Jesus of Nazareth plays a supporting role (not the risen-from-the-dead Jesus, but the real-life guy the myth was based upon).
- There’s a certain amount of nudity and sex in the narrative, but none of it gratuitous. Well, hardly any.
- Some of the action takes place in Hell, some in the Garden of Eden, and some on a Fox News-type talk show.