SF & Fantasy

Cover & Synopsis: Blood of Tyrants by Naomi Novik

novik-bloodBlood of Tyrants, the new Temeraire novel by Naomi Novik, will be in bookstores this August!

It is the second to last book in the series. It’s going to be a sad day when that last book publishes. The dragon Temeraire and his friend Captain Will Laurence have been an important part of my fantasy reading life. The Temeraire series is quite simply one of the finest stories being worked on right now—great for both genders, great for all ages. Naomi has created such a wonderful story that even Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson purchased the right to produce live-action movies of the Napoleonic Wars dragon series. I hope we all get to see that one day!

But first, we get Blood of Tyrants! Naomi has finished writing it, finished editing it, and it is now in the capable of hands of the Del Rey Books production team.

Here is an early look at the book—its cover as well as its dust jacket summary! Spoilers ahead!

Naomi Novik’s beloved Temeraire series, a brilliant combination of fantasy and history that reimagines the Napoleonic wars as fought with the aid of intelligent dragons, is a twenty-first-century classic. From the first volume, His Majesty’s Dragon, readers have been entranced by the globe-spanning adventures of the resolute Capt. William Laurence and his brave but impulsive dragon, Temeraire. Now, in Blood of Tyrants, the penultimate volume of the series, Novik is at the very height of her powers as she brings her story to its widest, most colorful canvas yet.

Shipwrecked and cast ashore in Japan with no memory of Temeraire or his own experiences as an English aviator, Laurence finds himself tangled in deadly political intrigues that threaten not only his own life but England’s already precarious position in the Far East. Age-old enmities and suspicions have turned the entire region into a powder keg ready to erupt at the slightest spark—a spark that Laurence and Temeraire may unwittingly provide, leaving Britain faced with new enemies just when they most desperately need allies instead.

For to the west, another, wider conflagration looms. Napoleon has turned on his former ally, the emperor Alexander of Russia, and is even now leading the largest army the world has ever seen to add that country to his list of conquests. It is there, outside the gates of Moscow, that a reunited Laurence and Temeraire—along with some unexpected allies and old friends—will face their ultimate challenge . . . and learn whether or not there are stronger ties than memory.

“These are beautifully written novels: not only fresh, original, and fast-paced, but full of wonderful characters with real heart.” —Peter Jackson

So, what do you think? Do things sound dire for Temeraire and Laurence? Will Napoleon get his desires for world dominance? Will Iskierka be around? And will Temeraire be friends with an amnesiac Laurence?

I guess we’ll find out when Blood of Tyrants publishes August 13, 2013!

More soon!

9 Responses to “Cover & Synopsis: Blood of Tyrants by Naomi Novik”

1. oriharakaoru says:

eeeeeeeeee I can’t wait!!!

2. Ezio Cauthon says:

Wait, what?!?! Will lost his memory?!? Man, I have GOT to read Crucible of Gold!!!

3. Heather H. says:

Japan! Oh joy, Temeraire comes to my neck of the woods!! I’m dying to read your conception of Japanese dragons.

4. Li says:

Oh my goodness! I’m so excited for this book, it sounds painfully suspenseful and also amazing. I hope we get some more from Temeraire’s point of view like last time he and Lawrence were separated.

Definitely my favourite series!

5. Kathie says:

I’ve been so excited waiting for this book but I’ve got to tell you I am not loving the idea of Will and Temeraire being separated and Will not knowing whats going on.

6. Love how with each new book Novik has managed to introduce new countries and new dragons, it has expanded the world in such a natural way. Can’t wait to see Japanese dragons and probably Russian dragons too! And having Laurence loose his memory will be interesting, given how much a Navy man he was and how reluctant he was to switch military branches in the first book, this will be starting over for him.

7. Melissa says:

OMG! Lawrence gonna lose his memory? i mean what is gonna to hapend? I’m so excited about this book Japanese dragons will be awesome i gues and new trip also . I read Cricuble of Gold and i’ve been so glad that the rest of Temeraire’s formation was with him again and now i see they will be alone….agian :c its sad! And I realy hoped for more Granby’s story(maybe with Little) ^ ^ hmmm after new information i decided to read Blood of Tyrants in eanglish because i would have to wait to translation not to August but surely to November :)

8. Melissa says:

SO cannot wait for this new Temeraire book!

9. Kirshy says:

I loved this series when it started but am I alone in feeling that the last 2-3 books have taken a real dive in plot and substance? It just seems all rehashed and reused plot devices. They have also gotten shorter in length too. Don’t get me wrong. I’m still a fan and hold out hope that these last two will redeem the series but doesn’t she have an editor helping her to make these books better?